Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Double-Headed Eagle


The Double-Headed Eagle

I am trying to get through David Starkey's Churchills on Channel Four, and I noticed that the emblem of the family is a double- headed Eagle.  I have always loved that symbol.  I have always loved that symbol.  I am Greek Orthodox, and the emblem of the church has a double-headed eagle, which was borrowed from the Byzantine Empire.

The double-headed eagle is a common symbol in heraldry and vexillology. It is most commonly associated with the Byzantine Empire, the Holy Roman Empire, the Russian Empire and their successor states. In Byzantine heraldry, the heads represent the dual sovereignty of the Emperor (secular and religious) and/or dominance of the Byzantine Emperors over both East and West. In the Holy Roman Empire's heraldry, it represented the church and the state. Several Eastern European nations adopted it from the Byzantines and continue to use it as their national symbol to this day.
Frankly, I think the church's symbol isn't as pretty as some that I have seen.  Here is one that was used by Russia, which I find attractive:


The one you usually seen used by the church isn't muscular like Russia's, but looks like it could afford to lose a few pounds.


No comments:

Post a Comment