Monday, September 26, 2011

Apollo and Helios

If you ever want to get a headache, try to find the difference between Helios and Apollo. Helios (not Apollo) is the Greek God of the Sun and he rides his Sun chariot across the sky during the day. Even the Romans made this distinction Helios became Sol Invictus. Helios is the Greek word for the Sun. Apparently, the idea of equating Apollo with the Sun and riding the chariot came later in time.

Although I always knew both names, it never really bothered me that much. I just went back and re-read one of my favorite books as a child, D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths. I came across a paperback copy of this book while in the Getty bookstore, and I purchased it despite the ridiculously high price. (I just found the hardcover copy on Amazon and I will buy it.) D'Aulaires says that Helios is the God of the Sun (and has the chariot). It also says that Apollo was as "fair as the Sun, and he was to be the god of music, light and wisdom." D'Aulaires also says that Apollo was given a silver bow and a quiver of arrows. Apollo's arrows "were hard and piercing as the rays of the Sun." When discussing the myth were Helios allowed his son to drive the Sun chariot. The son couldn't control the chariot, and he died. D'Aulaires notes that Helios "grieved over his lost son, and he never again allowed anyone to drive his chariot except for Apollo, the god of light."
HELIOS:
APOLLO:
COVER OF D'AULAIRES SHOWING HELIOS:

No comments:

Post a Comment